Thursday, March 14, 2013

Myra Nell, Southern Belle



The first time I went to dinner at the home of Myra Nell McElroy I was smitten by her traditional hospitality.  Nell, as she is affectionately known by her friends and loved ones lives in a beautiful brick rancher, situated prominently on a tree-lined street in Weaver, AL.  A visitor immediately feels warm and right at home at Nell’s place.  She is the ideal hostess.  A tall, slim, Miss America-type lady, Nell is beautiful both inside and out.  She loves to smile and chuckle and her best friend is Josiah, a magnificent large collie.

From a very young age my grandmothers taught me to respect intelligent and caring women.  Nell, although not old enough to be my grandmother, is like a second Mom to me.  In fact, next to her sons Mark and Mike, she calls me her third.  Although delicate and demure it would seem, Myra Nell is the kind of person you can talk to about anything.  Her heart is made of gold and her shoulder of iron!  After rearing two great men, Nell lost the love of her life, Maron “Mac” McElroy when she was just shy of 60 years old.  Having lived over 20 years as a widow, Nell has endured her share of life’s trials.  She is also a cancer survivor.  She is an example of faith, determination, and an unbreakable spirit.

On Sunday mornings when I arrive at the Ohatchee Church of Christ, I am greeted with a smile and a hug from my special friend.  We have been sitting together on “our pew” for several years now.  Last October, Nell and I shared an incredible loss.  Our dear friend Jean Chappell went on to her great reward and we have both missed her terribly.  Jean took both of us in as family.  After losing my grandmother in 2003, both Nell and Jean stepped up and became wonderful spiritual counselors to me.  Many nights I have spent in the McElroy living room telling stories, praying, laughing, crying, and sharing all emotions with my dear sweet friend. 

Myra Nell enjoys her home.  She is proud of both Mike and Mark and their families.  She loves her grandchildren, great-grandchildren and extended family, but she is happiest right there in Weaver with Josiah.  She is one of those true southern belles who cleans house every day, always has a slice of cake to serve her guests, and speaks in an articulate drawl that makes you proud to be from the Heart of Dixie.

Friendship is a blessing from God.  We are all born into families that we love and appreciate, but throughout life’s journey relationships evolve because God sees a need.  I am so fortunate to have the kind of friend in Myra Nell who loves me unconditionally.  Serving our Father yields so many great rewards in addition to our salvation.  God wants us to be happy, prosperous and healthy while on earth.  He gives us these angelic friendships to make our journey a little better…a little safer.  No one can face trial or hardship alone, it’s always better to endure with a friend beside you.  Whatever your struggle might be, lean on your friends.  Let God work in your life through the influence of others. 

Ask yourself what you can do to thank your friends who are always there for you.  When we do things for others who make our lives so much sweeter, we are doing the Will of God.  Friendship is a resource to learn to love.  It’s the emotion we will enjoy in eternity, so why not get used to it now?  My friend Myra Nell has a favorite restaurant.  She becomes giddy when invited to Red Lobster.  I think I will call her right now and extend an invitation.  Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment