Tuesday, September 11, 2012

RESCUED: How God Can Mend A Broken Heart


Is it possible to die of a broken heart?  Some may think the relationship between physical demise and a broken heart is only literary fiction from one of Shakespeare’s plays.  Research actually demonstrates there can be a relationship between emotional problems and Cardiomyopathy.  Harvard medical researchers were recently quoted in the Chicago Tribune stating that massive release of stress hormones can cause drastic changes in the hearts blood vessels, temporarily reducing heart function.  The Japanese have also elaborated on this study calling it "Takotsubo's cardiomyopathy," referring to the observation that the heart assumes the shape of a Japanese lobster trap, which is called a "tako tsubo." The patients develop chest pain and shortness of breath. The good news for these patients is that the condition is usually reversible with proper medical care.  It’s good to know this information is available and is taken seriously by the medical field.


Most people who have enjoyed the emotion of true love, whether it is with a family member, romantic partner, or close friend, have been subjected to grief.  The loss of a loved one, either to death or separation is an undisputed cause of the “broken heart.”  People have been suffering a broken heart for ages.  In fact, the Bible well documents the sorrow and pain associated with losing someone.  The prophets even foretold the grief that Jesus would know at the hand of His own people.  Isaiah 53:3 says, “He is despised and rejected by men.  A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.  And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him, He was despised and we did not esteem Him.”


In the New Testament, Matthew 22 quotes Jesus telling that Peter will deny Him three times.  This caused great sorrow and woe to the Savior.  Heartache and emotional pain is an emotion that is unavoidable when you truly love someone.  Death is inevitable and most all of us have experienced that loss, some greater than others.


I learned about death at an early age.  My parents and grandparents didn’t hide things from me or try and protect me from this part of life.  My mother always had a fear of losing the people she loved and that sentiment was certainly passed on to me.  I can’t blame her for living in this fear.  At a young age she lost her father and brother within three months of each other.  It was a devastating time for her family.  Fortunately, my grandmother, Bertie Mae had an incredible resolve about life and death.  She had a wonderful appreciation for God’s comfort.  She taught me that God cares about His children and will always take care of their pain.  Psalm 34:18 tells us “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart…”  He is very aware of how much it hurts.


If we find ourselves in one of these conditions where the stress of grief is not subsiding, how do we seek help from the Father?  Prayer is the best answer for any situation we are facing in life.  The comfort God gives exceeds any relief we might find in another outlet.  God’s comfort surpasses even our own understanding. 


We give each other advice when someone dies.  It is natural to say something like, “time will heal your wounds,” and “it will get easier in time.”  Both of these statements are true and God grants that time and He heals our mind, heart and soul.  The brain is as powerful an organ as the heart.  The two go hand in hand when it comes to emotions.  What we think in our head can definitely make our chest hurt.


Over the last ten years I have come to understand so much more about my struggle with Bipolar Disorder and depression.  It has certainly been a lifelong battle, but several of my manic episodes were triggered by the loss of a loved one.  The most devastated I have been is when Bertie Mae passed away in 2003.  Even though we had a wonderful relationship full of memories and well communicated love, losing her was more than I could stand.  Over the course of several years I endured a lot of therapy, medication, and trial and error to recover.  It was finally God’s hand that put me on the road to recovery.  This is how I know without a shadow of a doubt that God can mend a broken heart.


My Heavenly Father worked through His children to save my life.  He used experiences that my friends had endured to put me on the path to recovery.  My good friend Jean Chappell had been battling depression for over ten years when she recognized my signs and reached out.  If it had not been for her, I would have followed through with suicide plans and I would not have recognized there was a real illness beneath the surface of my emotions.  God positioned my circumstances to evolve in just the right way so that I would accept help. 


I have heard so many people use the excuse that going to Church can’t get you to Heaven.  This may be true for some, but for me it has been the exact edification that I needed to face each obstacle.  Wayne Dunaway, my minister at the Ohatchee Church of Christ, is one of the best spiritual leaders I have ever encountered.  He opened his heart and mind right away to my plight and encouraged me to use the talents that God has given me to improve not only my life, but the life of others.  In the spring of 2007, I spoke for the first time publicly about my diagnosis.  I had experienced symptoms from childhood, but was not diagnosed until my late twenties.  When I stood in front of the congregation and told my story, I was taking as much as 1600mg of Lithium per day to control my mood swings.  In addition to this drug, there were other antidepressants prescribed by various doctors.  As a result, I walked around like a zombie. 


I do support medication as treatment for depression and related mental illness, it is absolutely necessary for some, and trial and error is important.  For me, it only masked the broken heart.  It only covered up symptoms and created additional side effects.  I needed something more long term and more impactful on my brain and my heart.  God was the healer I needed.  Psalm 147:3 says, “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”  This is the healing I needed and so desperately wanted.


Since that first testimony over five years ago, I have developed a blog, worked with a support group, toured other congregations across the southeast, and become a published writer.  God has done more than just heal my heart.  He is using me to be the difference for others.  My brothers and sisters at the Ohatchee church of Christ continue to play a part in my recovery.  My treatment as prescribed by the Father is constant edification and fellowship.  It’s more than just helpful, it’s reassuring and pleasurable.  Friendships are designed to bring joy and love into our lives.  Even though I have since lost my father and then my brother to a tragic accident, I have learned to cope in a different way with this continual blessing of comfort. 


If you are reading this entry and you don’t have this foundation of support in your life, you are the person who needs to make that change.  Perhaps you are reading this for a reason.  You may have to initiate the change that occurs in your own life.  Allow God to work through others and mend your broken heart.  Keep in mind that sometimes God does work through the medical field.  Treatment is different for each person.


Having lived so many years of uncertainty, suffocated by the depression, I had to learn to rebuild my own confidence.  I had to realize that I deserve to be happy and fulfilled.  It does take time to heal and like any negative circumstance you find yourself looking back and reveling in the fact that you endured.  Hebrews 10: 35-36 says it best, “Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.  For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the Will of God, you may receive the promise.”


The song, “What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted,” lyrics by Jimmy Ruffin, tells the story of “love departed.”  Fortunately the last verse of the song gives a little optimism with the line, “I’ll be looking every day, I know I’ve got to find some way…”  The best place to look is up.  Look up to the Father for the comfort that only He can provide.


Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment