Monday, September 24, 2012

How Do I Help?


The commercials for antidepressants always say depression hurts...and not only those who have the disease, but the loved ones as well.  This is such a true statement.  Over the course of the last several years, I have had just as many family members of depressed people reach out to me for advice as those who have the disease.  As much as I understand what a hopeless feeling depression is, I can only imagine how a caregiver, mate, friend, or family member would feel helpless.  Today, a very sweet friend and former colleague reached out to me about a family member and it inspired me to try and explore a little deeper into the subject of treating depression when you are not the one who is depressed.

 

The first piece of advice I can give is to have compassion.  If you are reading this, or researching depression, then you obviously already believe it is a real medical issue and can be very dangerous.  Realize that depression can seriously alter someone's quality of life, just as any physically obvious illness would.  Please don't judge the person.  Understand they probably have lost complete control over their emotions and will not be able to regain an ability to cope until they seek professional or spiritual help.  If you have not already reviewed my article, "Faith Is A Factor," be sure to read it and understand that depression harms the faith of a person, but they didn't beccome depressed because they lacked faith.  This clarity will keep you from judging your loved one too harshly.

 

Next you need to have patience.  Depression can change daily.  If your loved one is bipolar, their mood swings can go up and down hourly, daily, weekly, etc.  This is known as rapid cycling.  You may feel frusturated because one day progress seems to occur and then another day there is regression.  This is comomon and truly needs to be expected.  I toured three states last summer and gave a number of speeches on battling depression and I am sure it appeared to most that I had gotten my act together.  I would still go home every day and crash.  My brother was brutally killed in a car crash at the beginning of my tour and even though I continued to speak, my moods cycled daily.  Patience is difficult when someone you love can display anger, bitterness, sadness, and other emotions that can be taken personally, especially if directed at you.  Please don't give up.  They will need you to withstand the destructive behavior they may exude.

 

Seeking professional help is a must if an episode lasts for more than two weeks.  Prolonged phases of inactivity, crying, mood swings, or destructive behavior is a clear sign of a chemical imbalaance.  Many people with manic depression and bipolar disorder will become impuslive, dangerous, permiscuous, and obviously plan or even attempt suicide.  Most physicians will recommend outpatient treatment if a person has a good suppport system at home, but inpatient programs are necessary depending on the severity of the episode.  When seeking medical help, you must encourage your loved one to be honest about every feeling and symptom they are having.  Since there are no blood tests to determine depression, symptoms and a record of feelings is imperative in gaining a proper diagnosis.  They should also understand that effective treatment takes trial and error.  Medications may only work for short periods of time before enhancements have to be made.  Again, it depends on the severity.  In addition to professional medical treatment, I am a firm believer in spiritual guidance.  Too many times doctors are overbooked and are in a hurry and unable to spend the quality time listening to a depressed patient.  A minister, fellow Christian, or licensed counselor are good options.  If the depressed person will allow friends or family to accompany them to counseling sessions it will make it easier for the support system to understand the root of the problems.  If your loved one insists on going alone, allow them to do so, because it is necessary to seek this help.  Still, always follow up to be sure they follow through.

 

Finally, you need to be as encouraging as possible.  A person suffering from depression needs a consistent shoulder to lean on.  I have had relationships with friends in the past where I would actually just call them up and say "you talk and I will just listen."  I would hold the phone and sob, but it helped me to hear the friend just make small talk until I composed myself enough to speak.  It's crucial that you assure your loved one you are not going anywhere.  As a bipolar man, I can tell you that the smallest of incidents can trigger a manic episode for me, so knowing that my closest loved ones are standing firm nearby to love without judgment keeps me safe.

 

I have said many times, emotional pain is more intense and agonizing than any physical ailment I have ever endured.  Your willingness to practice compassion, patience, and encouragement is more than rhetoric.  It's medicine blessed by God and it stays true to His Word.  I hope that you have found some helpful information and encouragement in knowing that your pain is recognized.  Loving and caring for someone who has major depression is draining and frustrating beyone words.  There is hope....you are that hope.  Please let me know if I can help in any way.  You can help me by sharing this article and reaching as many as possible who need to see that glimmer of light in the darkness.  God's favor shines brighter than any personal darkness.

 

Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment