Friday, September 21, 2012

Paradise Perspectve Part III


Most people enjoy vacations.  They work hard in order to do the things they love when they are not on the job.  Some enjoy weekend river retreats, a secluded mountain cabin, or a condo at the beach.  We all need those times in life where we "get away" from the rut and routine we fall into with our jobs and family life.  Every now and then we are fortunate to take one of those BIG trips that are meant to be life changing.  For most of 2012, my trip to the Florida Keys had a major expectation to meet in my personal journey.  I built it up in my mind to accomplish three things.  1)Clear my head and allow myself to de-stress from the tense person I have become in the last year.  2)Provide the inspiration to continue to pursue my dream of becoming a reputable writer and speaker.  3)Strengthen my relationship with my best friends, the people I know who will hold my hand for the rest of my life.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

 

Now that I have returned home from "paradise," in the worldly sense, I can't help but realize that God intended for it to be a spiritual awakening.  I have been on a path of self-destruction.  I haven't controlled my blood pressure, I allow any and everything to trigger my emotional rapid cycling, and I have felt undeserving of the very dreams God placed in my heart.

 

I don't want to impose my religious and spiritual beliefs on anyone, but if you are a better person than I am, you will most likely read my commentary without too much judgment.  For me, I spent many wasted years hard hearted at the Church because I felt like I would never measure up to what mankind wanted me to be.  I wasn't fortunate to hear a lot of preaching on the subject of grace and mercy growing up, so quite honeslty, it took me more than 25 years to believe that I will go to Heaven.  Friends, we will never save the people we love or convince non-believers about Christ's sacrifice by exuding judgment.  I advocate standing up for what you believe in, but it should be done with love and understanding not with hatred and animosity.  I recently engaged in  a political tangent and I hurt someone that I have known my entire life.  It was wrong and it was bullying in every sense of the world.  I should know better, because I have suffered from a lot of bullying in my past.  I am glad that I was able to make that situation right with my friend.

 

God is here to help us through His Word to stay focused and positive about our futures.  Some people are naturally more optimistic than others.  For those of us who struggle with depression and often  see darkeness rather than light, we must cling to something other than our own personal resolve.  Turning to God and the resources He gives me has changed my life immeasurably.  If you include Him in your pursuit of any goal, it will magnify the results.  What do you have to lose, my friends?  What possibly could a person be giving up by allowing God's love to flow freely in our personalities and in our lives.  It doens't make us hypocrites if we stumble.  It makes us human!  Alexander Pope said, "to err is human, to forgive is divine."  Jesus speaks often and eloquently about forgiveness in the New Testament.  His love for us in undeniable.  Relish in that love and forgiveness and strive each day to live better for Him.  Paul writes in his letter to the Romans, "Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord, Jesus Christ," Romans 5:1.  Faith is what you feel in your own heart, not what someone else tells you to feel.

 

I made the decision on this retreat to pursue the seed God planted in my heart to change my life through writing.  I have spent too many years doing what others thought I should do and quite possibly placing more faith in man than God.  Each person has his or her own "demon" that prevents you from realizing your potential, the feeling of contentment, and achieving your destiny.  You must determine what that obstacle is. 

 

Obviously people who have suffered the way that I have in regards to depression and related illness are near and dear to my heart.  Let me say this frankly to you;  it's just like dieting, starting a new relationship, developing a talent, or overcoming a bad habit.....nothing is going to reap success unless you first decide you want to.  Willpower originates in the very body where the disease resides.  I had to determine who the victor was going to be in my life and so do you.

 

Depression is dangerous and it takes millions of lives each year.  Be the blessing that someone else might need.  Be and instrument for God to enhance the melody in your own life or the life of somene else.  Please share this blog.  It is sincere, honest, and it is without shame.  I pray that God blesses each of you and from the bottom of my heart I appreciate your love and continued support.

 

Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment