Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paradise Perspective Part II

Paradise Perspective Part II

Strolling along the streets of Key West, Florida you can encounter many things you have never seen before.  I will leave most of that to the imagination, but between the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick, the tiny electric cars, and historic architecture there is more than meets the eye to this place locals call The Conch Republic and Paradise.  One of the most famous visitors and champions of this cultural island was the magnificent Ernest Hemingway.

It's unlikely one would have gotten through grammar school without hearing about Hemingway.  In later years of high school literature courses and abundantly in college English and creative writing courses, his work dominates curriculum.  Hemingway can be described by many adjectives, but genius is the best description as it pertained to his career.  Not only did he enjoy immense success, he managed his money well and left behind a terrific legacy.

Standing on the wrap around veranda on the second floor of his estate, I couldn't help feeling nervous tension as the tour guide spoke of Hemingway's life long battle with manic depression and Bipolar Disorder.  Of course back then, they just called him crazy.  There are many characteristics I recognized in myself hearing the description of this iconic novelist.  The truth is, he was extremely intelligent to turn his worst demons into passionate works of written art so that generations to come would enjoy his talent. His untimely death at his own hand was a devastating end to a life that still influences so many.

I did however chuckle just a little as the charismatic young tour guide spoke so humorly about Hemingway and is womanizing.  This of course is not something I have ever had trouble with, other than maybe a short bout trying to keep up with buddies at JSU.  I wouldn't call that womanizing as much as "catting."

My biological father was extremely notorious for womanizing and my grandmother, Edith Tommie Gowens sat me down for a real good "talking to" upon my father's death when I was twenty-five.  She asked me to have more respect for others and I thought it was so generous and humble of her to admit the wrongs her son had committed and do her part to prevent me from doing the same thing that left me lonely and aching for my missing father as a young boy.  I have never stopped heeding her words in any relationship, whether friendly or romantic.

So, while Hemingway and I would have never been party buddies, I am in awe of his creativity, craft discipline and motivation.  It's a great life lesson that when you have a talent blessed by God and a dream planted so deep in your heart, you are doing a disservice to yourself, others and most of all to God when you don't use it.  All talents need a little fine tuning and I am certainly working on that.  I am no literary or grammatical artist, but the passion to create a message that might inpsire others to overcome obstacles is deep within my soul.  When God is praised in that endeavor it is bound to generate immeasurable success.

The principles we establish for ourselves and the guidelines in which we pursue success are generally more stringent than what our mates, friends, family and acquaintenances might project on our own lives, but for me, I have a new perspective of patience and tolerance when it comes to accomplishing success.  Success can happen in the smallest and most unepected places.  It doesn't have to appear on a best seller list, on the book club of someone famous, or in the history books of literature.  Success can be changing one life....and it might actually be my own.....

The final part in this perspective series will be posted in a couple of days, it is based on scriptural research on how God can help us keep a positive perspective when we face the "real world" and all those obstacles to prevent us from chasing our dreams.  Stay tuned.

Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment