Thursday, July 5, 2012

Let God Provide The Directions

Have you ever been traveling with friends or family on a long trip and taken a wrong turn? Of course you may have maps, a GPS, or other resources to keep you on the right path, but like most of us with an ego, we think our "inner compass" needs no outside assistance. Once you make that wrong turn, there is no telling how many miles out of the way you may have to travel before you even realize you are headed down the wrong route. Depending on the terrain and topography, it may be difficult to find an acceptable spot to turn your vehicle around safely and back track to the original point of your incorrect detour. This analogy applies to the general direction of our lives when we fail to utilize the tools God has given us to stay on path. We become impatient, thinking He is not answering our prayers fast enough, so we decide to "help Him out" by plotting our own new course. I have made so many mistakes by allowing my anxiety and impatience to negatively impact my walk with God. He certainly forgives our sins, but that doesn't mean we don't have to endure consequences for our mistakes. I find myself at times traveling down the wrong road and wondering when God is going to provide me with a new route or a safe place to turn around and get back on track. How many years have I wasted trying to do things on my own instead of understanding the principle of allowing God to work in His own time? The Word clearly tells us that if we ask and do His good Will, the prayers will be answered and the blessings will chase us down. We don't have to chase them down, God will shower us in due time. We must make adjustments in our lives to trust God far and above any man and more importantly more than ourselves. His rationale may not always be clear to us, but we can rest in the solid confidence that our dreams in accordance with His Will shall come true. As I venture down paths that are stealing my joy, adding to my depression and anxiety and prolonging my destiny, it occurs to me that God is so supernatural and divine. Who else would put up with the kind of selfish behavior we sinners exhibit? We see the material things others have and think. "why can't I have that now, I am a great person?". The truth is that success not ordained by God may only last for a season, but what is blessed by Him and in accordance with His Will is very much worth the wait because it is long term. Look at the road you are on and ask yourself if you made a wrong turn trying to speed up the process? If the answer to that question is to the affirmative, it's time to ask God to get you back on the right track as soon as possible and allow you to overcome the mistakes you have made. No telling how many tanks of gas I have wasted in the last several years allowing my impatience to cause wrong turns. I hope you will join me in saying a prayer of thanksgiving for such a wonderful and merciful God and share this with others who may need a little encouragement. Let's all make more of an effort to allow God to give us the directions on life's highway. Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment