Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gaining Perspective

Regardless of your situation in life, it is easy to become complacent and sedentary in your pursuits. Every person wants to succeed at something and every person defines success differently. I recently read a book about pursuing your dreams by one of my favorite authors, John Maxwell. He has had an extensive career in motivational speaking, writing, and ministering God's Word. Maxwell wisely advises his readers to escape to a peaceful place with a blank notebook, writing pad, or something to take notes with and pen their goals. It's never too late to get yourself back on track in life. God is merciful and forgiving. We should learn to treat ourselves with similar grace. When escaping to your quiet and peaceful place, write down your goals and what actions you need to take to accomplish those goals. There is no certain format that must be taken, only what works best for you. We live in a very stressful world. Our parents and grandparents had struggles of their own, but to us, nothing compares to our own generation and the same will apply to the next. Their obstacles will seem greater to them than ours to us. Today, you may find yourself wondering why you haven't accomplished a dream that has lingered in the back of your mind all your life. You may be thinking, "if I had only done this sooner, or if I had not made that mistake...." As hard as it is to accept and move on, the past is the past and it can either remain there, or it can dominate our futures. We are the only ones who can determine how we allow our past mistakes to influence our future.The future can be a blank canvas and we have the power to be our own artist. God provides the paint and the brush; the resources if you will. Deep in our hearts is where the vision lies. When I deliver a sermon to a congregation it is always based on a subject that I personally need to hear. I actually may be the person in the room listening the most. Early on, I heard a minister say that when he is pointing a finger at someone else, there is always four pointing back at him. I am writing this particular post because it is exactly what I need to "hear." I have been in an incredible low mood the past couple of weeks as part of my battle with bipolar disorder and manic depression. Stress at work and a feeling of failure has magnified my pain. I made some snap decisions this week that were evidence that I had reached a breaking point. I had to do something. I had to escape, regroup, and turn a page to a new blank canvas. My closest friends and I are spending a few days in Fairhope, AL. This beautiful southern town on Mobile Bay is a gentle and calming environment for rest and relaxation. It's a lovely place to clear your mind and strenghten your soul. I was here a few months ago and had left one of my journals in the condo. When I found it on the coffee table in our living room last night I flippped through the pages and read words of prayer from several months back. It was a reminder of a few constant struggles and that I am the only person who can take the appropriate measures to bring about necessary change. Today, I will start with a clean slate and redefine my goals and the path I need to pursue. I will create a realistic action plan that challenges my opportunities and builds on my strengths. You don't have to take a five hour drive to find a peaceful refuge. Simply walking to the park, or visiting a favorite quiet place can inspire the environment you need to gain a new perspective on your life. The most important point is not to settle for mediocrity and disappointment in your life. You are the artist....you have the vision. Pray for it to come to you. Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment