Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Brother God Gave Me

It has been a very sad and emotional week for me.  We laid to rest my big brother, who was only 44 years young.  Tony Renee Goodwin was a dynamic and outgoing person who lit up a room with his “camera ready” smile.  He had the most beautiful expressions and was so full of happiness constantly.  In fact, I don’t ever think I saw a single mood swing in his behavior.  He was unconditional in his loyalty to friends and family and generous with everyone.
During the eulogy yesterday I shared a story that as a young boy I looked up to my brother so much and wanted to be just like him.  I would follow him around and try to imitate his every move.  Of course, like most big brothers he would grow tired of it eventually and would need “his space.”  Whenever I managed to push him to his breaking point, Tony would hold me down and tickle me relentlessly.  I could not stand to be tickled.  It absolutely infuriated me.  I would certainly stop my aggravating behavior immediately.  Later, we were grown men, and our Dad was suffering from stage IV stomach cancer.  UAB Hospital had given him only a few months to live, but my Mom was insistent that we try every resource and avenue to achieve better news and better results.  I found the Cancer Center of America in Zion, Illinois.  Eventually they were able to give my Dad about nine really good months and a much better quality of life.  Tony and I flew to Illinois with our Dad and my Mom.  They had never flown before or even really traveled out of the south.  We had to leave them in Illinois for a couple of months.  After we got them moved into an apartment and were ready to head back to the airport, I was falling apart…leaving Mom and Dad behind in a strange, city, state, etc.   With one arm around my shoulder, Tony said to me, “Dry it up, or I will bring out the old tickle monster.”  Needless to say, I dried it up.
On June 25, 2011 my big brother left this world in a tragic and devastating car accident.  Our family is left with a huge void.  As the shock has worn off and the wonder creeps in about how do we live in a world without him?  I think about the few short years our lives are here on earth, and how eternity will be so wonderful and so worth the wait.
Tony was proud of the work I am doing with emotional wellness, he encouraged me often to pray and remain diligent in this work.  It’s nice to know your parents, friends, loved ones, and church family approves of your work and supports you, but hearing “I believe in you,” from Tony will last me for all time as I continue this journey.  Thank you God for giving this amazingly strong, caring, generous, and happy person to me as a big brother!  Rest in peace, Tigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment