Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Right Place, The Right Time

We work to have things.  We work to go places.  We work to live.  These are three statements that describe most every person that I know.  When we as working class people have the opportunity to take a vacation, it’s a significant event in our year, because for most of us, it’s a once a year occasion if we are even that lucky.  Life is busy, but on my journey I recently enjoyed a big reward and I’d like to share some details with you….

I am one of those folks who loves to cruise.  Even after watching SPEED2 and Titanic, or seeing news reports of the ship that capsized just offshore, or the recent ship stranded at sea.  I am a die-hard fan of cruising.  Where else can you pay a reasonable price for all meals included: prepared, served, and cleaned up by someone else.  Sure, it’s crowded at times, and the lines for embarking or disembarking are long, but the experiences far outweigh any negatives.

Recently I took a 6-day, 7-night cruise to Ochos Rios, Jamaica; Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico.  The Carnival Conquest was a lovely ship, adorned with sophisticated nautical furnishings and design, staffed with more than 1200 service-minded crew members, and jam-packed with entertainment, amazing cuisine, and panoramic views.  The most surreal feeling for people that I have asked regarding cruises is the same that I feel; standing on the deck overlooking the beautiful ocean under a clear sky, no land in sight, there is nothing to do with your worries except let them go.  It’s a carefree mindset that heals wounds, opens your heart and mind to others, and builds lasting memories to cherish for a lifetime.

I am able to tap into true creativity when I am lost at sea.  The wind blowing against the skin, the sound of the waves crashing against the vessel, and the starry nights are indescribable.  I met my first new friend seated poolside on our first day at sea.  Michele (from Michigan) and her lovely daughter (Rebecca) were traveling together on spring break.  Rebecca teaches school and Michele works in student services for a Community College. 

Michele and I struck up a conversation about the number of cruises we had taken and then began asking about each other’s lives.  Michele listened as I told the story of my recent book release and she shared how her daughter had a similar love for her grandmother, now deceased.  I gave Michele an autographed copy of Porch Swings and Prayer and she read it on the cruise.  We saw each other later in the week and she quickly told me how much she loved it and planned to share it with others in Michigan.  I’m anxious to get to know Michele more and we have already connected through social media since returning to our daily lives.

Meeting new friends is a true blessing from cruising.  In 2010 I met Patsy and Gary Rich from Tennessee and Tobie Dwyer from Arkansas and we are still friends today.  We stay in contact and we root for each other in life.  I believe God blesses us with being in the right time and the right place with wonderful new friendships.

The dinner table is where you really get to know your new friends.  This past cruise I was seated with several folks and particularly became close to Debbie and daughter, Denisha(Jacksonville, FL); and Emily and her niece, Jena (Lakeland, FL).  After 6 nights of having dinner together, we found it difficult to say goodbye.  We all got to know each other over laughter and great food.  We promised to keep in touch often, and so far we have kept our words.  I’ll be writing more throughout this series about these fantastic ladies, and our great time along with a few more folks I met along the way!

One of the first articles I ever had published was titled:  “Friendship Is A Gift From God.” It truly is!  If you look at the difficult times in life you have encountered, more than likely, each of you can name a friend who stood beside you and held your hand.  If you think of a good time when there was a lot of laughter and joy and celebration, there was probably a friend right there partying with you!  God works through others.  He pricks their hearts and allows them to connect with us on a level where we let go of barriers and fears.  Friendship is completely a cultivated seed grown into a beautiful flower by the hand of God.

I was able to open my mind and let go of many worries on my trip to the Caribbean.  I’ll share more of that and a few twists and turns in my next blog:  “The Jamaican Motto.”  There’s a lot to be said for the phrase, “every little ting gonna be alright…”






Stay Tuned…Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I wanna go on a cruise, but I'm scared. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete