Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Simple Life

A couple of years ago my good friends Ricky and Kim Johnson Dunaway moved from Ohatchee back to Kim’s hometown of Scottsville, Kentucky.  I have been meaning to visit them for some time, but we all know about good intentions.  We let life get in the way.  Fortunately, Kim and Ricky continually encouraged me to visit and with my recent “Faith Is A Factor” tour I received a special invitation from the Elders at the Scottsville Church of Christ to speak.  I had an amazing experience on this trip.
Scottsville, Kentucky is nestled in the south central area of the bluegrass state.  My initial plan was to take I-65 north through Cullman, Decatur, and eventually into Nashville and up to Bowling Green.  I would then head back southeast for about twenty miles or so to Scottsville.  Ricky suggested that I take the scenic route just south of Chattanooga across Monteagle mountain and then take hwy 231 outside Murphreesboro, into Lebanon, and straight across the Kentucky line into Scottsville.  I made great time and truly enjoyed the drive.  A couple of days before I left, my friend Austin Brown and I had corresponded about our prayer journals, and he promised me he would give me a report in a few months on how his was going for a “year-end sermon” I am planning.  I used the windshield time for a lot of traditional conversation with the Lord, especially since I couldn’t write and drive.  As the east coast was bracing for Hurricane Irene, Tennessee was enjoying beautiful sunny skies.  The amazing views were inspirational across the mountain and it was so appropriate to express my gratitude and deepest thoughts to God.
Once I arrived in Kentucky, I visited with my friends for a while and we enjoyed some southern cooking for lunch and then decided to venture outside town a short distance to a Mennonite community.  If you have never had the opportunity to witness the lifestyle of the Amish country, you have no idea what you are missing.  I had heard stories from Ricky and Kim, but was not prepared for the simplicity and purity of life these faith driven people live.  I was not surprised by the fact there is no electricity, but the creativity and volume of production these families yield from the land is amazing.  They use the strongest horses, manmade tools, and their backs to grow the most beautiful crops.
As we toured jam houses, furniture shops, produce stands, and “pick your own pepper” fields, the friendly and humble nature of the Mennonites warmed my heart.  From early ages these spiritually grounded overachievers develop the strongest work ethic I have ever seen.  It reminds me of stories my Mom and Grandmother told me about their cotton farming days. 
One of the most intriguing characteristics I picked up unanimously from this community was joy.  There was no complaining, laziness or arrogance like you might find in your local store or restaurant.  Long lines or staring tourists didn’t seem to impact them at all.  Looking into their eyes, all you could see was understanding and kindness, no judgment.  I kept thinking to myself as we drove around in air conditioned cars watching them drive their horse drawn wagons and carriages, most of us were judging them.  “How do they live like this?”  “Why do they believe they can’t watch any TV or have any electricity?”  “Why must they cover their heads and wear long dresses in the summer and all the boys wear suspenders?”  This community lives a simple life where they are not trying to keep up with the neighbors.  They are not stressed out by the need for materialistic success. 
I certainly didn’t leave Scottsville, KY planning to go join a Mennonite community or buy a patch of land and start completely living off my harvest, or giving up my car, TV, computer, etc.  I did however, come away with a much better understanding of contentment.  I realized this community was not there for my entertainment but for a lesson in life that I needed to learn.  Those of us who truly are trying to live the Christian life are not that different from the Mennonites.  We serve the Lord first and realize that we store our treasures in Heaven, not here on earth.  We want for nothing, because God supplies all basic needs and motivation.
I will never stop believing that God wants me to dream and He wants me to accomplish as much in my life as my heart desires as long as it doesn’t interfere or diminish my love for Him.  I keep thinking back to what a bright young speaker named Renee Zeringue recently said during a sermon.  The void we feel within us can on be filled by God.  If we don’t allow Him to be first, we will never know true joy and satisfaction.  The perfect simple message for the most complicated of lives.  I am thankful for my friends Ricky and Kim, the Elders at the Church in Scottsville, the Mennonites, and for a wonderful God who teaches me inspirational life lessons.
All glory to God, Almighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment